n exceptionally original and interesting anonymous single handed longcase dating from around c1705. The original and massive brass hand is superb and the solid pewter chapter- ring is a most unusual feature! It has ' twin cherubs with crown ' for spandrels and large ' C ' scrolls with meeting arrow heads for half -hour markers. There is a touch mark on the reverse of the chapter ring which is believed to be by Stephen Bridges who was working in London from 1696. The iron birdcage movement is massive and has tapoured arbours direct to wheels without collets which measure tapour from 5mm to 11mm and typical of the 17th century. The Fine and original unfigured oak case is of a very high quality and has a lovely original rich dark colour and patina - standing approx. 7ft 2in tall. The case (with hood side windows) has the proportions of a good London case with pillars attatched to the hood door, concave mouldings at the top of the trunk and ogee mouldings at the bottom. The long flat-topped trunk door is plain and has no applied 'D' moulding. However this feature is more common than one would think during this early period and another example can also be seen on a 30-hour longcase by Thomas Power of Wellingborough c1700 which is illustrated in the book entitled 'English 30 Hour Clocks' byDarken and Hooper pages 331-2. The case also retains its original iron butterfly hinges and oak turnbuckle. The clock sits on its original seatboard.
Click Image to Supersize